Saturday, February 27, 2010

French baguettes

I have read many articles that speak of the impossibility of replicating authentic French bread in America, let alone in a home kitchen, but I was feeling daring and I went ahead and tried it!  :) I used this recipe from my favorite cooking site, www.allrecipes.com and it had several positive reviews from people who'd traveled to or lived in France. 

Since I was making the baguettes for my Petite Parisienne party, I wanted them too to be miniature so my baguettes more closely resembled breadsticks.  I must say that the most challenging part for me was getting the dough to rise enough because it is supposed to rise somewhere very warm (80-85 degrees) and I baked on a cold winter day. My solution (took me a failed attempt to figure it out) was to use my space heater in our laundry room (the smallest, unused space in our home). It seemed to yield better results.

Here is a shot of the finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment