Friday, January 29, 2010

Bouchons "Chocolate Corks"


Thomas Keller is a "world renowned" French pastry chef who has made these all the rage in the upper foodie circles here in the US with his bakeries in Napa and NYC.  Evidently, his are just to die for.  The photo above are his Bouchons. 
I went ahead and shelled out the $29.95 to buy a silicone bouchon mold from Williams & Sonoma (pictured below). It was ever so cute and promised to make amazing chocolate treats.  
I followed the recipe on the back of the mold box and my bouchons turned out super fluffy and not at all dense, which is one of their primary characteristics. They were quite delicious, but nearly impossible to release from the silicone pan. Now, I will go ahead and admit guilt where it is due here: I may have over mixed it a bit and I have no previous experience with silicone baking pans.  
And thus. my search for delicious amazing and totally reproducible French pastries and baked goods continues. If I endeavor to make Bouchons again, I will purchase different molds (often referred to as Baba molds or Timbale molds) as I plan to return this one tomorrow.
Thanks for following me in this wacky journey. 

4 comments:

  1. Do you use the same pans for bounchons as you do for brioche? Brioche is my favorite! You should do a brioche breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not mean to spell bouchons wrong. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, you can use the same pan if you get the larger molds. I too enjoy me some good old-fashioned brioche! I may have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you coat the molds with a fairly fine coating of melted butter they'll pop right out--once they've completely cooled and you've "edged" the pans.

    ReplyDelete